Top Designers Advise What to Wear on Thanksgiving

It's coming.

Thanksgiving is the one holiday where fashion simply must be functional. Otherwise how would we be able to partake in the turkey, the stuffing, the cranberries, the sweet potatoes and so much more?





Luckily, designers and fashion types are thinking of this as well. Here's some of the best dressing suggestions we've heard for Thanksgiving:

Alexander Wang: "Something with stretch – an elastic waistband."

Austyn Zung, creative director, Loft: "For me it's always very, very comfortable, but with gorgeous jewelry. My clothes will be very comfortable, like chic trousers and a cashmere T-shirt."

Jason Wu: "Always be overdressed, not underdressed. Long is the new short. Wear a full-on gown."

Kim Kardashian: "A poncho and leggings and great thigh-high boots. You look stylish with big hoop earrings to distract people from watching you eat."

Leighton Meester: "We eat. When I'm with my family, it's all about drawstring or elastic."

Liz Lange: "You want to look polished yet be comfortable for a day that's all about cooking, eating and family. I am always most at ease in a simple dress so I will wear a cozy sweater dress with flat to the knee boots. If you wear pants, I recommend your stretchiest pair of skinny dark wash denim or corduroy. Pair them with a loose fitting top."

Marissa Webb, women's designer, J. Crew: "You always want to look cute, no matter what the occasion is. A casual pair of lounge pants dressed up with a button front shirt. You always want to make sure you're comfortable. If you're not comfortable, you're not going to wear it well."

Michael Kors: "Cashmere, cashmere and more cashmere. It's the only thing you can feel glamorous in and you can eat. I love cashmere pants or a cashmere pull-on skirt and a real cozy sweater."

Pamela Love: "I think a really loose hippie dress is the way to go, so you have a lot of room to pack it in there, with a really good pair of earrings to keep it simple. You don't want anything in the way between you and the food – no bracelets – nothing that's going to slow you down from eating."

Pamella Roland: "If you are spending the holidays at home you want to be relaxed and enjoy the day without a lot of fuss. I recommend a cozy cashmere sweater - understated yet luxurious. If you are going out for dinner and want to dress things up a bit, a simple black dress and beautiful wrap are always perfect!"

Philip Lim: "Something with an elastic waistband."

Rachel Roy: "I'm going to be wearing a caftan, which is very generous and forgiving."

Reed Krakoff: "A jersey sheath with leather strapping from my collection."

Tory Burch: "I could say something very obvious, but I won't. I'm always thinking cozy comfortable, but chic. I usually wear a turtleneck, trousers and some wedges to give me a little height."

Whitney Port, designer, Whitney Eve: "Something lose and comfy like a shift dress with ankle boots so you can eat all you want and stay comfortable!"

Blog Archive